SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Prob with racing
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Spin Sheets? What's that?

Recruiting crew is difficult, even here in Rhode Island where you would think it would be easy. Finding crew members who are ambitious and willing to learn off the boat as well as on is even more difficuly. Finding crew who will make time to practice, well...

Last winter I had this crazy idea that I woudl find a stable crew and one person would become an expert at main sail trim, another at head sail trim and so on... I even provided books no one opened! HAHAHAHA!

In fact you need two complete crews and spares. People available on Tuesday night are not available on weekends or even on Monday night. People available on Monday night, same thing in reverse. People available on weekends have other things do do many weekends. Finding people willing and able to take a week off for a race week? Dream on!

Of course if you want to win, you need to find a crew that is stable and will practice together. That may be the biggest challenge in the sport, at least for amateurs!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook