SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Current sewage disposal regulations for Great Lakes?

8K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 27' boat which I intend to keep on Lake Ontario. The original head had been removed and replaced with a self contained unit.
I would like to replace that and go back to a marine head. The original fixtures are in place which consist of two thru hulls each equipped with a seacock. I am assuming that the larger of the two is for discharge and the smaller is for fresh water intake.

My question is what are the current regulations regarding toilets and waste storage and discharge on boats of this length on the Great Lakes?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yep no discharge (most fresh water areas should be IMO).

Is it too late to mention those gate valves?

#8 ·
Ronco makes decent holding tanks in a variety of shapes and sizes.. :D

#6 ·
One of the new developments worth noting is that there restrictions are starting to crop up to forbid "grey" water (sink and shower) discharge. Isle Royale National Park (U.S., Lake Superior) has a little-known reg that states: "Federal regulations prohibit the discharge of any waste, including gray water, into park waters." See p 12 of the park's boating guide. Isle Royale National Park - Brochures (U.S. National Park Service)
"Park waters" by the way extend 4.5 miles from the park's lands. I believe it even applies to campers who are expected to dump grey water in designated facilities. This reg was introduced as I recall in 2009 by the park superintendent, and it will be interesting to see if the policy is followed elsewhere. If anyone knows of a similar policy on grey water discharge in the Great Lakes, I'd be interested to know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.