SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Pay the marine electrician each time you need to modify something on the boat's electrical system or buy the tools and invest in yourself and learn how to do it yourself. One pays for itself rather quickly...the other just drains money from your wallet and you learn NOTHING. Besides, I'd point out that if you don't have the knowledge, the tools and the parts aboard, fixing stuff in an emergency is a lot more difficult. THERE ARE NO ELECTRICIANS AT SEA.

I'd point out that many electricians don't do a very good job, certainly not one that would hold up to ABYC standards.

When it comes to boats, it is very easy to be penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjon View Post
Wow, what an educatuion! So this means that for me to reinstall my VHF radio which consists of one conection that I soldered and shrinkwrapped, I have to buy a $40 tool and the proper marine grade conectors and adhesive shrinkwrap and redo this all over again. My $50 an hour marine electrician sounds cheap at this point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook