SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjon View Post
Wow, what an educatuion! So this means that for me to reinstall my VHF radio which consists of one conection that I soldered and shrinkwrapped, I have to buy a $40 tool and the proper marine grade conectors and adhesive shrinkwrap and redo this all over again. My $50 an hour marine electrician sounds cheap at this point.
No it does not, if you are comfortable with your connection.

It should be noted that the ABYC standards say solder shall not be the sole means of mechanical connection.

11.16.3.7. Solder shall not be the sole means of mechanical connection in any circuit. If soldered, the connection shall be so located or supported as to minimize flexing of the conductor where the solder changes the flexible conductor into a solid conductor.

It is a still a good idea to know how to crimp and to have a decent tool to make them with. The Harbor Freight Tool crimper is only $14.99 and heat shrink butt splices can be bought at Home Depot and even Wal*Mart these days.. Under $20.00 for a crimper and the butt splices..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook