SailNet Community - View Single Post - East River trip
Thread: East River trip
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I assume you have a good reason for sailing and not trailering? The C22, at least the swing keel model, is pretty easy to trailer. At this time of year I would rather trailer the boat than sail it.

Assuming you have no trailer or tow vehicle, sailing / motoring can be done. Make sure you have enough fuel and that the motor is reliable. Make sure the friction lock works that the motor will stay aimed dead ahead. How many crew will you have? You'll need at least 2 people and preferably 3-4 total.

According to my copy of Eldridge, the current at Hell Gate, in the east river, just off Roosevelt Island, turns Southwest, at the ebb, at 8:46 AM on Sunday April 11. High water at the Battery is at 7:07AM. I would try to arrive at Hell Gate at 9:30AM or so.

It's about 30 mn from Northport to Hell Gate. Assuming you can travel at 5 kts, it will take you 6 hours to get to Hell Gate. It's low tide at Northport around 4:00AM Sunday morning. So if you get a nice early start you can ride the flood tide from Northport to Hell Gate and ride the ebb tide from Hell Gate down the East river and around to Long Beach.

It seems like Hell Gate is the 1/2 way point, so you have a fairly long trip ahead of yourself.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook