SailNet Community - View Single Post - Allied Seawind 30
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010

Taffy1960 is on a distinguished road
still looking at the Allied Seawind?

Are you still interested in the allied? Maybe I can help with a few comments. As Calebd mentioned, I sailed one down the east coast last year single handed with not a great deal of experience it must be said. CalebD was a very welcome passenger around NY harbour.

My impressions? I will echo Jeff H ´´s comments. She´´s Not really designed for coastal. A great safe boat for crossing an ocean, albeit a little slowly. Hull speed 6.7knts. Couldn´´t squeeze any more out of her. Additional speed would have saved me time at the helm (no autopilot) allowing me to reach port more quickly, more refreshed, less chance of an accident, and in daylight. On some days after steering for 12 - 14 hrs I was pretty knackered.

She´´s A little cramped below, but if single handing not so much a problem. Very sea kindly and forgiving.

Cost? Can´´t agree more about what´s already been said. Going for one in better condition between say 20K and 30K, with fewer details, is better than spending time and money on renovation, although any boat of this age is probably going to require a little TLC.

I dont regret my purchase for one moment. I was lucky. Mine was hardly used. Just 150 hrs on the engine! Even though a survey may cost around 5% of the purchase price, well worth it. Mine Highlighted the details on the boat and work that needed doing. Very useful and re assuring.

For the future I am now looking at something a little faster/ larger/ autopilot etc such as a benetau 423.
If you´´re around Florida, you are welcome to take a look at mine in Key Largo to get more familiar with them or you can ask me about any specific points.

cheers,
Ian (the "crazy" Brit).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook