SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
sd-
"Is that when you dress up in a pink tutu and tights," No no, you've got me confused with Vin Diesel in The Tooth Fairy. We're dopplegangers, that happens a lot.

Brian-
"The vibration works a crack in the solder." Not the vibration, but the result of folks ignoring "every" spec for soldering wires, that says the wire must be solidly affixed so it can't move and work-harden the solder joint, which then fails. The vibration won't hurt a thing, IF there's a proper job done of making sure the solder is't being flexed.
Not that I'm saying solder is always the right way to go, but I suspect a boat sees less "vibration" than a car does, and I know solder joints in cars with 100,000 road miles on them, with a vibrating engine and road vibration all the way. And, no problem on the solder joints.
I've also seen a ZapStop protection diode on a boat alternator, where literally both wires coming out of the diode have broken off because the installer simply taped it over and left it to vibrate and flex in free space, causing the vibration to focus on the diode body and snap it clean off the leads.

And then there are some terminations that simply have to be soldered, i.e. to contacts and pins that simply can't be crimped onto.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook