SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing the Keel Bolts
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010

fparry is on a distinguished road
Replacing the Keel Bolts

After reading this forum I decided to inspect the keel bolts on my newly purchased 1971 Schock Santana 27.

I read somewhere that inspection after 15 years and replacement after 35 was called for. The previous owner had sailed her on Lake Erie but as her history beyond this owner is unknown to me I decided that after 40 years a look was in order.

I contacted W.D. Schock and they were very helpful considering the age of the boat. They told me that the original hardware was zink coated steel but that they now use stainless steel. They offered to sell me a complete new set of 10 each bolts, nuts, and washers for $10.

I removed the first bolt by cutting the nut using a chisel and large maul. After about thirty or so whacks the nut cracked and I was able to drift the bolt out.

surprisingly enough the bolt was in excellent condition considering it's age. As you can see by the attached picture aside from some rust on the threads above the nut, the bolt and load bearing threads are in great shape. The only damage visible is that caused by the cutting of the nut.

Based upon what I found I am now thinking that I will pull one more bolt and if it's condition is the same I will replace those two this year and then replace the balance in the future.

Due to the condition of this bolt I am guessing that this boat has had little saltwater history.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3232046.jpg (81.5 KB, 87 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook