SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

seafurl vs harken vs profurl

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Allanbc 
#1 ·
planning on upgrading, thinking seriously about the harken product but the seafurl seems more economical and less cutting of the headstay,

#5 ·
Something you might also consider when comparing is how low they make the headsail sit on the bow. Meaning some are so low the sail rubs on the life lines/pulpit and/or also makes it difficult to see under. Just a thought.
That concern is easily altered with an extension either on the sail or the foil. Also, you can furl the sail a bit (1 or 2 turns) during restricted visibility such as night sailing or entering a busy harbor or creek. ;)

The drum on our Harken Unit 2 is as low as possible, I wouldn't change it ever. The only concern I have is lowering the anchor so it doesn't hit the drum, no big deal.

As for which unit..., sorry cant help you there much. But would add the reason I went with the Harken is because the owner of our marina is a harken dealer and got me a really good price! There are a lot of great units out there, Schaefer, Pro Furl, Furlex, etc. There are some differences between them, but IMO it personal taste and budget, or opportunity :D Kinda like buying a honda vs toyota vs nissan, sometimes you just go with the name your comfortable and familiar with. (well okay maybe toyota is a stretch :eek: )

All the best

#4 ·
I have 70,000 trouble-free miles and 15 years on my Harken furler, so buying another one is a no-brainer for me. OTOH, I delivered a boat with a Profurl with a frozen bearing, which held me up for two days. I thiink installation is important--I was able to take apart my Harken after 12 years with no corrosion problems because the installer knew what he was doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.