SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
Well, here's what CFR Title 46 Shipping, subpart C part 120 Electrical Installations says;

(g) Each connection to a conductor or terminal part of a conductor must be made within an enclosure and have either:

(1) A pressure type connector on each conductor;

(2) A solder lug on each conductor;

(3) A splice made with a pressure type connector to a flexible lead or conductor; or

(4) A splice that is soldered, brazed, or welded to a flexible lead or conductor.

I was talking about things like accessory connectors provided by manufacturer's with their equipment where it is up to the installer to provide the necessary cable and install these connectors by soldering the wiring to the pins of the connectors using a soldering iron. These are not done using wave soldering techniques such as is done with printed circuit boards.

I agree that the average DIY does not have the knowledge/skill/experience to do marine wiring properly and in accordance with established standards and laws. I am a marine electronics service technician and installer with 34 years of experience (you have one year on me). I have seen it all as well, and not just DIY's, but by so called expert professional's.

Eric
I was specifically referring to CFR 33 Part 183 not the CFR which covers large ships. ABYC is geared for pleasure marine and things other than large tanker/ships which have their own specific standards. There is overlap between shipping and CFR 33 but they are not the same on all counts.

If you look at CFR 33 - 183 you'll see where much of E-11 is in line or pulled from it. E-11 goes deeper though than the CFR but for builders, compliance with CFR 33 is mandatory where as ABYC is not....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-31-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook