SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to make a cover for the wheel?
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 04-13-2006
sailingdog
Telstar 28

Helps if you read....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool
Sardyn
An alternative is to wrap the wheel in decorative hand whipping. Your personal hand-knotted rope cover would provide a much nicer feel and finish than the best store-bought leather cover, and is dirt cheap (material-wise), if you can spare a day or two...

See http://www.mikelucasyachting.co.uk/articles/dec_rope_work.htm for a basic example. For proper instructions, get a copy of The Marlinspike Sailor , a must read for any quality rope use. Then add a Turkshead on the king spoke and you’ll enjoy it forever.

Twenty years ago I did the wheel on a C&C 30 with a nice triple turn whipping. I happened to pull alongside that long-ago sold C&C last summer, and that oh-so-salty wheel cover immediately put a smile on my face.
I believe the OP wants to make a cover to protect the instruments, pedestal and wheel from UV damage and the elements, not to make the thing prettier while in use. It would probably help if you re-read the original post where he clearly states something about covering the instruments...
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome