SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to make a cover for the wheel?
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Helps if you read....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool
Sardyn
An alternative is to wrap the wheel in decorative hand whipping. Your personal hand-knotted rope cover would provide a much nicer feel and finish than the best store-bought leather cover, and is dirt cheap (material-wise), if you can spare a day or two...

See http://www.mikelucasyachting.co.uk/articles/dec_rope_work.htm for a basic example. For proper instructions, get a copy of The Marlinspike Sailor , a must read for any quality rope use. Then add a Turkshead on the king spoke and you’ll enjoy it forever.

Twenty years ago I did the wheel on a C&C 30 with a nice triple turn whipping. I happened to pull alongside that long-ago sold C&C last summer, and that oh-so-salty wheel cover immediately put a smile on my face.
I believe the OP wants to make a cover to protect the instruments, pedestal and wheel from UV damage and the elements, not to make the thing prettier while in use. It would probably help if you re-read the original post where he clearly states something about covering the instruments...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook