Everthing I know about outboards.
After an exhaustive search, for the right motor for my Tanzer 22, I have learned the following:
- Tohatsu/nissan/merc seem to be the lightest.
- Tohatsu Sailpro seems great on paper. Many T-22's are powered by 6hp two strokes, including mine. Real world experience with the Sail pro seems to indicate that at WOT they are buzzier and less powerful than an old two stroke. Pity.
- That puts me into the 8+ category. The only high thrust setups seem to be Yamaha, but are expensive, and weigh in at over 100 lbs.
- Tohatsu 8/9.8 are really the same engine, but the 8 has it's power limited.
- Given that I want a charging system, I need to get an electric start. I can retrofit a rectifier, but it will cost more than a factory installed electric start and charging system.
So- I have a line on a new tohatsu 9.8 with electric start/charging for 1800. It is heavier than I want, and more engine than I need.
Any drawbacks to this setup? It uses more gas WOT than an 8hp, but I figure I'll reach hull speed well before that. In real world use, will it use more gas than an 8hp?
Any thoughts, or alternative suggestions greatly appreciated.