SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Downunder Dreamer

915 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Classic30 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Quick intro:
  • Melbourne, Australia
  • mucking about in small tinnies
  • looking at sailing for many years
  • have opportunity to crew on 33" for racing 2 a week
  • about to enroll in Competent Crew 1 and 2 to be held in Port Phillip days as a five day live aboard
  • will use training courses and crewing opportunities to gauge how good a fit sailing is to my lifestyle
  • will most likely purchase boat capable of up to week for around Victoria
  • great forum that provides an opportunity to think about issues
  • is their an Aussie based forum that I can't find as many of the boats mentioned in these forums have not made their way down here
  • love red wine and a nice beer
  • a nice beer is a cold beer

Regards Ken

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Ken,

Welcome!

I don't know if there is an equivalent aussie forum down your way. But I do know that we have a fairly large number of aussies and kiwis on this site, quite a few of whom are very active here.

In fact, one of our moderators, "tdw" (aka "the Wombat") is based in Sydney. He is a knowledgeable, if a bit eccentric, bloke. You'll like him. But he's off on a holiday cruise right now, so you'll have to wait a week or two to make his acquaintance.

Anyway, hopefully we can be of some help in the meanwhile.

#3 ·
Hi Ken,

Greetings from another Aussie. Im currently a Sydneysider with plans to relocate to the Cairns area when I return from the Solomon Islands.

Im still in the planning stages of buying a Catamaran to liveaboard.

You will enjoy your time here...the people on SailNet are very helpful and full of great information.

Shane (OziDude)

#4 ·
G'day Ken,

Sorry I didn't notice you before - I don't spend much time on SNet these days.

There is an Aussie-mostly sailing forum : Live Sail Die - but I find it friendlier here.

There are quite a few Aussies on SailNet (we're slowly taking over!), aside from Mr Wombat who is everything JRP says he is and more, including "SimonV" who recently bought a boat in the US with help from people here and sailed it back to Brisbane, "Melburnian" who has a Catalina in Geelong, "Sasha_V" also in Melbourne, "Ilenart" in Perth and "sctpc" drifting around up north somewhere - just to name a very few...

It's good to have you aboard. There is a vast wealth of knowledge here (even among the Americans!), so feel free to ask whatever questions you have.

Enjoy your stay.. Oh, and don't trip over the Dog! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.