SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
This thread is about "Crimping versus Soldering". You seemed to bring up CFR rules in defense of ABYC rules regarding this subject when you stated "The ABYC standards are partly derived from the CFR".
No, I brought it up simply to explain where and how the ABYC comes to present its standards, partly from the CFR and partly from evidence and other sources.

Quote:
CFR rules do not say a soldered wire termination must have a "mechanical connection, then solder" as you stated.
Eric, please read very carefully I NEVER stated that the CFR said that. I said the ABYC says that but never said the CFR stated that.

Quote:
CFR rules say you can have EITHER a pressure type connector or a solder lug, EITHER a pressure type splice connector or a soldered splice.
Yes that is what CFR 46 says never disputed that.

Quote:
The point is, soldering is fine when done properly just as crimping is fine when done properly just as crimping and then soldering is fine when done properly.

Yes, I think I said most of that too.

Quote:
Iv'e seen PLENTY of improperly installed terminations done either way.
Yes I too have seen all type of connections done incorrectly but more bad solder than anything, mostly due to incorrect practices.

Quote:
The debate goes on because of all the instant Internet "experts" who have little experience and don't know what the heck they are talking about.

Eric
Are you calling me an "internet expert" who does not know anything? Not very becoming behavior when we agree on the vast majority of what we are discussing. You take me out of context, make up stuff that I never said and then insult me? Cool, welcome to the forum..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-31-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook