SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
Absolutely not. You are obviously quite knowledgable about the subject and the rules. I am talking about those who jump in here and make claims about this and that when they obviously don't have a clue but think they do because they just "googled it" and are now "experts". People misstate ABYC rules ALL THE TIME. It can be quite frustrating, and comical, for an experienced pro to deal with the inexperienced DIY's who think they know it all.

Eric

People often think the ABYC is mandatory for them when it is not. You and I are in strong agreement on that. Still not a bad idea for a DIY to try and do projects that would comply if only for insurace surveys and re-sale surveys.

That being said, as you and I know, the ABYC standards are not perfect. There are parts I don't agree with and some points I am working with them on to get into committee, reviewed and added/changed, but for the most part it is an excellent standard and one I always try to work by because it is good and partly based in evidence, something many standards are not.

Give folks a chance here there are lots of very knowlegeable DIY's on this site as well as many industry professionals who do this day in day out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook