SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Well; despite 23 pages of diatribe over crimping v. soldering, I feel compelled to make one more addition. I wanted to point out that on the ABYC code it says that a soldered connection would be acceptable if it is made secure from flexing at the ends of the solder joint (where wires would be bent sharply).

I am going to make the point that if you use a long enough length of adhesive lined heat shrink tubing on the solder joint; the ends of the solder joint become supported by the heat shrink tubing as it is less flexible than just the wire with it's sheath. If you are connecting two hot/ground wires with solder and you cover both individually with heat shrink; then cover both together with a larger/longer piece of heat shrink you will not only protect the connection from flexing you will protect them from chafe, moisture and corrosion.

For end point connections I would use crimp connectors with heat shrink (which are damn expensive to buy in small quantity).

What I don't understand about ABYC's protocol regarding minimizing flex of solder joints is that it does not also apply to crimped connections; as they also create a "hard/solid joint" where the wire is joined to the connector.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook