SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

sailing from mattapoisett to Toronto Canada via hudson

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  GMC 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a boat in Mattapoisset MA and will be bringing her back to Canada in the early spring. I'm looking for all the advice I can get from someone who has done the trip before. What type of sail should I expect from Buzzards bay to NYC?

Thanks for now

#2 ·
To New York? Up the Hudson to the lakes then? Spring can be blustery, and cool on the Long island Sound. The days may be warm, but the water is cold. Still, there are plenty of good harbors. Generally the wind is southwest, you might be beating a lot. Try to work with the tides, they can give you or cost you 1.5 knots, much more in some spots.
Not so many people read the "destinations" section. If you don't get more replies, try posting in "general sailing",

#3 ·
Depending on the weather you may get some fog, rain or both. It also could be fairly cool at times so bring appropriate clothing. Give yourself time to pick your weather window.
The later you go the more marinas and shore side places will be open and operating.
Good luck with your delivery.

#4 ·
I take it you're going up the Hudson to the Erie Canal? There have been several threads about doing that particular trip, including recommendations for where to unstep and step the mast on each end. I'd recommend you do a search for those thread using the search technique listed in the post in my signature, which uses google, rather than the sailnet search engine.

As for the trip from Mattapoisett... it really depends a lot on the wind and weather. If the wind is out of the southwest, it can be a lumpy, cold trip to NYC. You will need to time your approach to LIS to take advantage of the tidal currents.

#5 ·
Thanks for the information. Do you think it's a better idea to bypass the LIS and go offshore instead? As for the current and tides I have been studying them and will plan accordingly. As for the trip up the hudson to the erie canal is a familiar one for me but only done going the other way around heading south. Mostly trying to get advice from the Mattapoisett to NYC trip. Do you guys recommend any good books to pick up on the area?

Thanks again and have all a great weekend

#7 ·
#9 ·
You could try the SuperShuttle, but they tend to be expensive. There is a bus that runs down to New Bedford, but not to Mattapoisett AFAIK.

The other thing you could try is to get a ride from someone local to the area.

What boat did you buy??

#11 ·
I've done part of your trip (Mattapoisset to NYC). Day one expect to go from Mattapoisset to Stonington CT. Day two expect to pick a harbor a bit north of NYC. Day three try to time your passage through Hell Gate with the tide as the current can exceed 4 knots. This year's issue of Eldridge tide tables will help immensely with the timing. Failing that, stay as far to one side of the channel as possible and allow for a long time to get through.

#12 ·
Hey guys, thanks again for all your replies. Would this bus be your regular greyhound bus? I think a cab from New Bedford should be quite affordable I see the two cities are not that far.

I purchased a Alberg 37 sloop ridded (cutter converted) named Rodeo and has been in your area for the last 25yrs. Will bring her back to Toronto and from here will head south before the end of the fall.

Happy easter to everyone and once again thanks for all the replies

#13 ·
The bus you'd want to take is DATCO bus to New Bedford, from South Station, rather than the Greyhound. A cab is going to be pretty expensive, since Boston to Mattapoisett is over 60 miles. Another option might be the Super Shuttle.

Do you know when you're going to be flying in. I live near Boston and head down to the South Coast area fairly regularly.

Hey guys, thanks again for all your replies. Would this bus be your regular greyhound bus? I think a cab from New Bedford should be quite affordable I see the two cities are not that far.

I purchased a Alberg 37 sloop ridded (cutter converted) named Rodeo and has been in your area for the last 25yrs. Will bring her back to Toronto and from here will head south before the end of the fall.

Happy easter to everyone and once again thanks for all the replies

#14 ·
Sailing dog, once again thanks for the info. I'll look into the DATCO bus from south station. As for the cab I was referring to taking one from New Bedford and not from Boston.
I work for a Canadian airline and we fly to boston 6x a day so coming there is not a big deal for me. I was there this past weekend and will be going again on tuesday the 13th for 2 or 3 days.
Thanks for your ride offer and perhaps if you're going there at the same time we can arrange for something. You're more than welcome to come look at her when I'm there.
I'll check the forum regularly in the next few days. Take care

Gabe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.