SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&C 38 vs CS 36 Merlin
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010

jwreck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Both C&C, at the time, and CS were high quality builders with decent construction techniques and materials. If it is a C&C 38 Mk III, I believe it's got rod rigging, unless it was replaced, and is probably overdue for new standing rigging. Rod rigging can be tricky to inspect and can fail without much warning, unlike wire rigging.

Both should be pretty good boats and fairly comparable in many ways. The C&C is going to be a bit faster, as it is a larger boat with a greater SA/D IIRC. It will also have a bit more room. I like the C&C 38 Mk III a lot as monohulls go...

How are the two boats equipped? How are the prices??
The CS has more electronics. The C&C has more sail inventory. The CS has much greater tankage. The biggest knock on the CS equipment wise is a lack of (I know this will make some cringe) A/C. Living aboard in Texas (for me anyway) requires A/C. The CS is more than $10k cheaper, but is several states away (Florida). I really like the C&C, but it has been sitting neglected, with portlights that leak like a siv for months now. I'm investigating the condition of the CS but I don't have any reliable data yet, just the yachtworld listing. There's also the fact that the brokerage that has the C&C has given me a few reasons to not trust them at all.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook