SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&C 38 vs CS 36 Merlin
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Ha Maine...I was wondering how long it would take for you to weigh in with your perfect boat.

I am humbled by your anaylsis and years of experience. I have only have 30 years of sailing. Having sailed with others on their boats across the Atlantic a few times when younger and some cruising like the 1500 and races to Bermuda and Newport over the years, I realize my qualifications to judge boats may not quite be up to yours or Boatpokers. I have only owned 3 boats, A 27 Tartan....28 Islander.... and my current boat of over 15 years our C&C 35 MKIII. Forgive me for voicing obviously biased opinion. Your finidings about the CS were spot on.

I must have gotten the only good dry C&C made. Funny I moisture tested 4 other C&C;s before I bought this one and none of them had moisture problems at all. And Boatpoker you are dead wrong...not all have basla cored hulls.

I wanted a small racer/ cruiser which was not slow...and was well made. The other boats I had narrrowed it down to before I bought my current vessel..a 36 CS....a 34 Sabre....and a 37 Tartan all had issues. The worst of which was the CS, which you aptly described as having so many small attentions to detail, the PO had destroyed it by putting enough homemade Rube Goldberg contraptions on it that it looked like a Mr Magoo Christmas tree. It really goes to the main(e) point that I was making that it all depends on the vessel you are looking at. Sure you can quibble about boats when they are new about the difference in build quality between an A and a B+ which all four of these boats IMHO were. And some of that build quality translates through the years to longeveity of the boat, but when buying a 20-30 year old boat it all depends on how the boat was taken care of. The CS I looked at certainly did not look like yours under the sole. It was a wreck. As many have posted on here before you need to get a good surveyor...and a thorough survey. I narrowed our choice 15 years ago to these four boats and bought the one in the best condition I could find. I was partial and narrowed it to these four boats as the designers as well as builders had good reputations and built quality boats which fit the needs I had. No boat is perfect..and 15 years ago a turn of speed was important as I was heavily into racing, and the C&C 35 MKIII was very competitive (and still is) yet comfortable for a 3 week coastal trip. Our boat has traveled to New England 15 times from the Chesapeake as well as been to Bermuda and Florida. She has stood up well to the test of time...and really we have constantly improved her with upgrades and new systems as older ones got outdated or wore out. All these should be considered in additon when buying an older used boat, but only after the basic integrity of the boats hull...and engine. Whomever gets our boat when we sell her will get a well maintained upgraded boat. (BTW its hard to think about parting with her,,even though we will go larger she has been part of the family for so long)

We are currently undergoing the same analysis as we are looking for our final boat as retirement is comming in 5 years and we want to cruise to the Bahamas regularly. Speed is no longer the driving force it was 15 years ago, but I dont want a total barge either. We have narrowed our short list down to late 80s early 90s 45.5 Baltic, 44 Hylas, Tayana 42 and 43 Hans Christian Christina. We have looked at some already, but are looking for one which is in as good a condition as the C&C we bought 15 years ago.

That is really the deternmining factor, once you narrow it down to 3 or 4 designs.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook