SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is this a good deal for chesapeake bay sailing? MD and VA
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I have the Oregon 400c, and am generally happy with it for my purposes. I bought a $10 bicycle handlebar mount and put it at the top of my pedestal guard, so it's right where I need it, but I can easily remove it when I'm away from the boat.

Rather than pay for their chart plotting software, I use SeaClear with the free NOAA download raster charts to plot routes on my computer, and use the free g7towin software with Garmin's free Spanner software to translate between the Garmin and SeaClear file formats for waypoints, routes, and tracks. So I have nice routes in the Garmin device for all the places I need to go. I can also hook the Oregon directly to my netbook and use it as the receiver to view the boat's position, SOG, etc. directly in SeaClear. I expect that the Colorado works similarly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook