SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crew, Captain and Owner Feedback
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010
Captn D

Halberdier is on a distinguished road
Experiences with Inexperienced Crew

A few notes on my experiences with untrained/newbie crew.
- Always remember what is second nature to me is new to them and needs instructions and follow-up.
- Require follow-up to ensure tasks completed and completed successfully. especially important in stressful situations like docking in high winds.
- We had team meetings before events like docking, locking and anchoring, but found I needed more detail on the alternatives. For example, I detailed roles, sequence and lines need to dock in high winds, but should have added the work to run extra lines and we were secure.
- Important to meet crew beforehand and of having shakedown cruises. The longer the cruise the more important it is to ensure everyone is compatible.
- Follow your inner voice. If you have concerns about a crewmember, listen to them. Sometimes you need crew, but have a convern; you do not need crew that bad! Better now than later.
- Having to keep an eye on them all the times and worry about the results of their mistakes, adds greatly but often unnoticed to a captain's stress. For example watch out for their position on deck and dangers of a boom and jibbing when sailing downwind.
- Important to have systems and a place for everything. For example, the boathook is always ...... Follow-up to ensure everything is in it's place.
- The more systematic and consistent storage and labeling the better.
- Had good moral and support from involving everyone in decision making. Like is it time to call it quits and get in harbour? Have we sailed enough today?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook