SailNet Community - View Single Post - Climbing Rope
Thread: Climbing Rope
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Yup, outdoors is different. Caught a guy taking a 120' whipper years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
PDQAltair—

As a former climber, I'm fairly familiar with modern lines, both sailing and climbing. Most gym climbing ropes are relatively short, since the climbs are somewhat constricted in their height. Most would not be suitable for use as anchor rodes, due to their length.

The longer ropes that might be suitable for anchor rode use are not generally used in an indoor or controlled climbing environment—and they most certainly could have been exposed to loads greater than 500 lbs.
He was a little spooked after that.

Even at that, the load probably never hit much over 1000 pounds, since there was ~ 120 feet of rope out (as you know, forces approach 2500 pounds, but only with a 1.8 fall factor). The knot was not hard to untie, and I was barely lifted from the ground. It was a youngster, not my regular partner, and he thought running it out would be cool, I guess.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 04-05-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook