SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are you training up your young?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Given the title, does this belong in the off-topic forum?

I find the question that I should "train-up my young" to follow in my footsteps replusive, right on the face of it.

My daughter has sailed with me as much or more than most children. we have gone on several 2-week trips together. We have gone climbing on ice and rock and backpacking. She has learned to love adventure from my example and company. If she stops sailing tomarrow, I will be saticfied that she has experienced it and learned from it.

But "train-up?" Nuts. I cannot imagine if my parents had tried to get me to follow in their steps in something as personal as recreation. I wanted to make my own steps. I hope my daughter makes her own.

As for faith, one that is "trained-up" is empty. Life teaches what you need to know. There can be nothing more personal than faith and ones private thoughts. I will not interfere. I may lead. She can follow if she likes. Or not.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook