SailNet Community - View Single Post - Timeline for cruising?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010

HuskerDave is on a distinguished road
newbie to cruiser

I'm in the same boat as you! I've taken the ASA courses through coastal cruising, am studying to get my HAM license now, and getting out on a couple weekends a month to go sailing when weather is decent.

Our plan is to liveaboard at a marina for at least 3 months with as much sailing, fixing, learning as possible. We're blessed with good neighbors at the marina that are eager to teach too.

Our hope is to head out cruising at the end of hurricane season this year.

The first time I ever set foot on a sailboat was not quite 2 years ago. I'm amazed at what I've learned, but more so at what I have yet to learn. I just bought our cruising home - and spent 30 minutes trying to find the damn dipstick (hidden behind a extra tank of coolant that the former owner had installed!) That was frustrating - I mean how simple should it be? We took the boat out (Beneteau 423) for a couple hours - too windy for us to sail so just motored - and learned the landscape a bit -- even had one brief, soft grounding where the chart said we had 7 feet - but found only 3 1/2 feet of water. So even the first day had lots of learning for us.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook