SailNet Community - View Single Post - Timeline for cruising?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbillc View Post
smack---- being able to fix whatever goes wrong gives you a lot of confidence when you are 500 miles from land. i could easily pay someone to do repairs, but i would rather do them myself. each time you make a different repair it is a learning experience. right now i am installing a new gas spring in my profurl boom vang because they told me the vang was not repairable. i like a challenge.
Totally agree cap - it does give you a lot of confidence. And I'm personally learning everything I can (I just started a thread about trying to wire my C27 for A/C - knowing very little about it at this point).

I'm just saying that putting these kinds of things as a pre-requisite to cruising is taking it a little far I think. Knowing how to sail/navigate/etc. is obviously critical. But knowing how to overhaul a Perkins shouldn't hold somebody back from hopping the BVIs for a few months, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-06-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook