SailNet Community - View Single Post - A/C wiring the C27 from scratch
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A couple of points... first, you need to have a proper shore power panel. A good one for a boat the size of the Smacktanic is this one:

I'd also recommend getting a proper shorepower outlet. I like the newer design that looks like this:

Which is on sale over at SBO until the 12th or so.

This cord is a bit better a design than the older twist-lock ones. It also has a built-in thermostat that shuts it down if the outlet itself starts to overheat. However, you do need to buy a regular 30 amp shorepower cord and hack the end off to install the plug that comes with this one. I just installed this on my boat.

The panel needs to be within 10' of the shorepower outlet to be compliant with ABYC code. The hot and neutral wires should be connected to the shorepower ganged breakers on the panel, and the ground should be connected to the boat's 12 VDC system as well as the AC panel ground bus strip. DO NOT CONNECT THE NEUTRAL AND GROUND LINES, which would be the normal practice on a terrestrial 110 VAC system. The connection between Neutral and Ground must be made on SHORE.

The back of the panel should have a non-conductive cover, especially if it is in close proximity to the 12 VDC wiring systems.

Each circuit should have a GFCI outlet as the first outlet, closest to the panel. The additional outlets do not need to be GFCI outlets, as they are protected by the first outlet on each circuit.

Ideally, you shouldn't run high voltage and low voltage wiring together. If you have to do so, put the high-voltage wiring inside a cable loom to protect it from chafe and help identify it as high-voltage. I use color-coded cable ties to identify high-voltage wiring from 12 VDC wiring. It helps if you use YELLOW wire for the 12 VDC ground wires, since the black wire is used for 110 VAC hot wiring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-07-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook