SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are you training up your young?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010
Banned

SW329xl is on a distinguished road
I don't think you can do anything specific to teach kids to love something. All you can do is provide opportunities for them to fall in love. I love sailing, my wife loves sailing, my kids do not. We have had boats off and on throughout the last 20 years, and sailing was just never something that caught on with the kids. Even within sailing, there are lots of different aspects to it. For instance, my son does love cruising and appreciates that sailing is part of that. He does not love the sailing, but doesn't mind it when it is part of a cruise. My daughter hates cruising, but likes racing and can appreciate that sailing is part of that. She does not mind sailing as long as in the end it means she gets to take satisfaction in the looks of defeat on the faces of the losing skippers and crew. Two kids, raised the same, in the same house, two totally different outcomes. Neither loves sailing in the way I do, however both have come to appreciate other things and know a little more about themselves as a result of my passion.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook