SailNet Community - View Single Post - $616.79 and the boat isn't even home yet!
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I quickly realized right after I bought my first boat that this was getting expensive. That was until I took it out for the first time This site has in interesting comparison with other activities and boat ownership, you will be surprised at the results.

Boating Education: How to Buy a Boat on a Budget

That site has other info regarding the costs of owning a boat. I am not sure it is referring to sailboats. Even if its not, motorboats are more expensive to take out because of the gas. I want to think maintenance is more on a sailboat then a motor boat. On the same lines, if one is to add up the huge gas costs of taking a motorboat out, in the end its all nearly the same. A sailboat running a 6hp (.5 gal an hr) outboard just to go in and out the dock compared to a 140hp (15.3 gal an hr!) outboard is substantial. Checkout Nissan's chart here...

Nissan Marine Outboards - Authorized Distributor Offering Boat Motor Products, Technical Information, & Dealer Locations for the U.S. & Canada."

So I still wonder, in the end what is more expensive to own? Say the sailboat and motorboat are both 22ft for example. I would say in this example, the sailboat is cheaper. On the other hand, I like to think a larger sailboat, say 27ft may end up costing the same as a 22ft motorboat in the end. Since the bigger sailboats are more expensive on maintenance. I hope to hear what others think about this. I know very little about the sailboats and their maintenance, so my thoughts could be far off. I know I will soon learn pretty quick about the costs involved to maintain a sailboat Good thing mine is such a beauty but I want to be sure she stays that way. At last, the fun in it will far out weight the costs involved, at least for me it will.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook