SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA Cerification jitters
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
sck5 has it exactly right. I teach most of the ASA classes.
I have never had anyone fail the Basic Keelboat exam.

That's not to say, we pass people indiscriminately, but you'd have to try very hard to fail that class. I keep going over the material until you get it.
It's the instructors job to ascertain who needs extra attention or extra practice.

The best advice I could give, would be to read the book ahead of the class.
Relax and try not to overthink, let the instructor guide you through.
Ask relevant questions.

The written test is pretty easy if you pay attention. I find the biggest trick to the sailing skills for students is....paying attention to where the wind is coming from, getting a feel for the boat, and teamwork handling the sails.

sck5, has also hit on a phenomenon that I notice, mostly in my male students. Some of them lose focus and get distracted by the goofiest stuff.
ADD? They start looking off to other boats, or something happening on shore, start asking questions that have nothing to do with the task at hand?
Next thing they know they have turned the boat around and don't understand what happened. They turn their heads to look at something, and turn the tiller with their head......;-)

You'll be fine! It's not good business to take $500.00 or more from someone for a Fun recreational sport...and then have them fail at it.

Last edited by Tempest; 04-09-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook