SailNet Community - View Single Post - old powerboater new sailer
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010
Hack

NCHack is on a distinguished road
old powerboater new sailer

In Nov 09, I passed ASA 101 cert. at Sailtime in Southport, NC under the very patient and skilled Capt. Kevin Henessey. (I'll definitely be back for more lessons soon.) I loved it as much as I had always imagined, and two weeks later, purchased a '76 O'day 25 with swing keel. Over the winter, it was hauled, bottom painted, re-powered, and refiitted at All Seasons Marina on Lk Norman, NC. I was fortunate to find Tim at ASM to guide me through that process of making this a safe boat.

My third day sailing was as skipper of a 35 year old boat. I've fallen in love with old boats before; being a new sailor it's a real pleasure to be learning new skills and sailing knowledge on this old boat.

I've found it was designed to be a trailerable pocket cruiser. With the keel up, draft is around 2ft 3in. Does anyone know if the original design used a bunk style trailer or jack stand style? My experience with power boats leads me to believe a bunk-style trailer would allow float-on loading and unloading, but all the photos I can find of trailered O'day's show only jack stand trailers even for swing keel boats. I'm looking for a trailer and any help or suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.