SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pearson 27 Mainsheet system

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  CalebD 
#1 · (Edited)
A friend just bought a Pearson 26. I was checking over the boat and asked about the whereabouts of the main-sheet and block etc.

it appears as if the PO can't find them.
It has end boom sheeting.
It has a traveler on the transom.

We had the boss check the heft of the 3/8" line compared to the 7/16" line and were not surprised to find she preferred the 7/16".

So what is the typical purchase setup on this boat. They are not racing, they are new sailors husband and wife. 4 to 1, more?

The only thing we could find a WM was this:
Part 053 and 058

Little Fiddle Block with Becket, 500lb. SWL, 7.0oz. from HARKEN

But that is only for 3/8" line.
Also I'm not sure that 4 to 1 is enough.

What would you recommend.
I'm going to recommend that they ask the PO to look a little harder for one thing. We are talking couple three hundred.

See less See more
#3 ·
David,
If I was replacing the mainsheet blocks on a boat that size I'd definitely get a Hexaratchet block. I sail often sail with a retired friend who was badly injured in a car wreck. His legs and hip were messed up and when the boat heels over hard it is rough on him. I convinced him to give the hexaratchet a try and he loves it. He can hold the load on the main comfortably with one hand and dump it if needed. It has enabled him to sail more often with less worry. I had one on a Hunter 27 and felt the same way about it.

Gary H. Lucas

#4 ·
David,
If I was replacing the mainsheet blocks on a boat that size I'd definitely get a Hexaratchet block.
Gary H. Lucas
I'm glad you brought the hexaratchet up. I was reminded of them as I was just looking at the catalog.

On dinghy's and Hobies they are the norm but do people really find that they help that much on a 26' boat. If you are not racing don't you usually just set the main-sheet and sail?

#6 ·
David,
We use two fiddle blocks (one with becket and adjustable cam cleat) hardware parts on our Tartan 27' for the main end boom sheeting. I am pretty sure that 7/16ths line works well for us and is good for handling.
If you have to replace the main sheet blocks & tackle DO check out Garhauer for additional parts. Garhauer Marine Hardware -943260
Usually much cheaper then Harken or WM and good quality.
The Pearson 26 is just a slightly smaller cousin of my boat without a center board. Pretty cool old boat.

#7 · (Edited)
I'm thinking of the following?
Can not find rachet block from Garhouer

Fiddle Blocks with Becket, Cam Cleat and Adjustable Shackle
30-06 UAB
length: 8-1/2 width: 4-1/2
weight: 14 oz shackle: 1/4
sheave diameter: 2-5/8

Anodized black aluminum Comes with set screw to make it fixed shackle Safe working load 2000 lbs

$49.00

Fiddle Blocks with Adjustable Shackle
30-01 UAB
length: 7-3/8 width: 2-9/16
weight: 9 OZ shackle: 1/4
sheave diameter: 2-5/8

Anodized black aluminum Comes with set screw to make it fixed shackle Safe working load 2000 lbs

$29.28

They donn't seem to make them with ratchet though.

#9 ·
David
I agree Garhauer is very good value and well made. But if you go to Harken's site they have examples of various sheeting arrangements and Compu Spec will tell you what is recommended for any boat in their database (thousands), whether mid or end boom sheeting as well as racing or cruising. They will also tell you loads on sheets at various wind speeds. It can be printed out. Then go to Garhauer and purchase if you wish.:D

#11 ·
's true , Odalisque looks just like a Pearson 27 !
Tartans look so different today! It seemed unbelievable!
My current vessel is a Bristol, sail-star "26" that measures 26.9' l.o.d.
I reckon they are cuzzins, Pearson bought sailstar , changed the name to Bristolin '68
or so I hear told anaway.
dandy nice lookin boat Odalisque is Caleb & Matt

#12 ·
dlblandjr,

Yes, you are quite correct. The early Pearsons, Bristols, Cape Dories and the Tartan 27 all have a similar look. I do think of these other boats as cousins of our boat. Much of this has to do with the designs that were popular at that time (1960's and onward), which are no longer popular with builders today. As you say, the current Tartans look nothing like either the T27 or T30 which were their earliest production models. Tartan is not even really the same company it was back in the 1960's.
"Odalisque" appreciates all your compliments as we try to keep up with her "honey do" list, which never seems to get any shorter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.