SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1969 MacGregor Venture vs 1964 Islander Bahama 24
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010
Banned

SW329xl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat101 View Post
Greetings,

I have recently gotten into sailing and sailboats and wanted to pick up a sailboat to learn on. Due to a limited financial budget, I have a short list of boats that I can choose between. The two boats I am looking into are 1969 MacGregor Venture 24 vs 1964 Islander Bahama 24. Both Boats are in similar shape. When examined in person. The Islander is in the water and the MacGregor is sitting in someones barn. I live in Houston, TX so more than likely I will have to navigate them thru the ship channel to get into the gulf.

My question for you is which is a better first boat and what sort of issues have you seen with these boats. Not sure if a Long Keel (Islander) or Swing Keel (Venture) would be a good starting boat.
I have read all the posts here and the Islander Bahama has gotten fairly decent reviews.

Any and all input would be highly appreciated.
Between those two boats, I would definitely recommend the Islander. Have you looked at any Catalina 22s? That might be an even better bet. There are lots out there, and many can be had for very little. With so many boats out there, it makes locating parts or used sails that much easier.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook