SailNet Community - View Single Post - Owning a boat long/cruising from long distance?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
I've been living here in the States, off and on, since 2001. During this time I have kept my boat in Nassau or the Abacos. I fly over for 3 weeks a year, use it as my vacation home, then fly back home.

Airfares are fairly reasonable to Nassau, unlike the Abacos. However, dockage/moorings are much cheaper in the Abacos and you don't have the problems with theft that Nassau has become famous for. I have viewed my time in Abaco to be just a prelude until the time I can resume cruising again full-time.

I have thought about bringing my boat back to the States, but having a vacation "home" smack dab in the middle of paradise, ain't such a bad thing. I wouldn't save any money on dockage, etc., back in the States and would not have anywhere near as pretty to gunkhole around in.

The key to long-term storage in the Bahamas is to either buy a boat over there or pay the import duty. I bought my Hunter in Nassau and to previous owner paid the import duty. Now, for $100/year I can keep my boat here indefinitely and will never have to worry about purchasing a cruising permit.

Last edited by AlanBrown; 04-13-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: forgot a word
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook