SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alberg 29
Thread: Alberg 29
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010
Banned

SW329xl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhoar View Post
Mostly cruising. Eventually I would like to sail around Georgian bay for a month, maybe take the canal from Lake Ontario.

The Beneteau was incredible, but way out of my price range unfortunately. Really like the J24's, they are my favourite at the club I belong too, but I would like something bigger when I buy my own. I've also sailed Sonars, but not a huge fan of them.
A couple boats you might want to look at would be a J30 and a Catalina 30.

The J30 is going to be a lot like the J24s you like, but bigger. It can definitely be cruised, but leans more towards racing/weekending. Depending on what you feel you need in a cruising boat, this might be one to look at.

The Catalina will be more spacious and fits more into what you might expect in a cruising boat. It is not nearly as fast as a J30, but is still quite a step up from the Alberg. It is basically halfway between the J30 and the Alberg, and should approximate the speed of a J24, albeit in a bigger boat so it won't feel quite as fast.

There are lots of examples of both of these boats out there. I would see if you could find a way to get a ride on both types this summer to see which type you feel fits you better. There are also a lot of other boats in this size range that I would look at before the Alberg.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook