SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 36 1987--Interior teak stain?
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Banff,

19 year old stain isn't going to be easily matched off the shelf, I am a professional trim carpenter, and when I need to match a stain or blend new wood with old, it's a matter of getting the closest color you can and blending to change the tone, with care it can come out to a perfect match. start with a color that is slightly lighter, and darken up to the right match. If your replacement wood is lighter than the original wood, haveing a can of the original stain isn't going to do you any good at all, because the repair will be lighter, if yours is darker, you'll have the same issue in reverse.
If it were me, I'd start with a light honey gold and add a few drops of cherry, put it on a scrap and set it beside the existing wood after it dries. go very easy on the cherry, red and black color much quicker than expected. If it is varnished, most real varnishes accept stain as a tint very well.

Being that your tag says luther marine maintenance, I'd assumed you were experienced in stains and varnish so didn't feel the need to go into any more detail than 'average stain'.

My 'not to be rude' statement was entirely about asking everyone to email you, not about the question at hand.

ken.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook