SailNet Community - View Single Post - USCG National Vessel Movement Center requirements
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010

EvanstonJohn is on a distinguished road
In my experience with Sunsail in 2008, it didn't want to get involved in border crossing requirements. Basically told me I had to deal with it myself. I will check back with the company again.

I also had called US customs office at Cruz Bay a couple of weeks ago - they were the ones that told me about the NVMC requirement and gave me the website URL. But it seemed so strange for such stringent requirements for a personal charter -- as opposed to a larger charter-for-hire. Hence my question.

I sailed from Jost to Cruz Bay two years ago, did everything wrong - didn't check out of the BVI first, tried to anchor in Cruz Bay, didn't have the boat's registration papers. Surprised they didn't arrest me (of course, I didn't know any of this at the time - St. John was just so tempting from Jost.) However, because one of the agents (a local from St. Thomas) was so nice, they gave me a mulligan and sent me on my way without too much trouble other than having Sunsail fax the boat's reg papers over. Needless to say, I'd like to do things right this time, and intend to anchor at Caneel and dinghy over.

Thanks for the replies!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook