SailNet Community - View Single Post - J-Boat 41
Thread: J-Boat 41
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josehoya View Post
Jeff-
If gotten cheaply could this J 41 be turned into a comfortable live aboard? and single handed or double handed safely around the chesapeake and eventually the BVI's? Without breaking the bank to convert things?

I'm dreaming of being a liveaboard. It seems that if I am going to buy anything, I'm going to have to do it without much help from the banks. They need it to be a newer boat which means more expensive boat or smaller boat. I'd like something like a 36 or 38' Catalina, but to gather that much in cash would take me a while. So the idea is to get a deal on a boat that I could make into something just right for myself over time.
Thanks,
Jose
Jose,

I don't think the J-41 would be a good choice for what you plan to do with this boat. While you may be able to pick one up inexpensively, it would be a very poor choice for short-handed cruising and living aboard. So many modifications would need to be made that it would prove a false economy. And even then it would not be well suited compared to many other boats conceived for your purposes from the outset.

Based on the little info you've provided, it really sounds like price of admission is a driving factor. If so, you might be wise to modify your search and look at smaller boats. The refit and on-going maintenance of a 41 footer, will be something like twice the cost of a mid-30 footer.

So you might save a lot over time by scaling back your size requirement, and paying a bit more for a well-suited design in decent condition. Fortunately, you don't necessarily have to compromise on comfort. There are many mid-30 footers that will always be more comfortable and better suited to your purposes than even a heavily modified J-41.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 04-14-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook