SailNet Community - View Single Post - Short Handed Gybes
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
When the breeze is up and I'm gybing single or short handed, I shorten the mainsheet, harden up the lazy sheet, throw all but enough wraps to keep the working sheet in place on the winch and gybe. As she's coming through and the jib backs, I throw off the wraps and let her run. Just after she comes through the wind I trim as much of the jib by hand as I can. Once on the new course, I sheet out a bit on the main and trim the jib. My traveller is 24" long and has no adjustments. It free slides to the stops. If it had adjustments, I'd move it from out to center and then out on the new side after the gybe. Oh Joy is a tiller boat so doing this dance requires a bit of dexterity, especially in anything over 30 knots.
Jibing in 30 knots or above is a religious experience. Charlie, you and OH JOY, with long keel, large rudder and good displacement (and courage, skill and experience) can do this and live to tell about it, but a lot of us in smaller, lighter, narrow-keel (and rig) profile, quick-pivot boats, won't track well enough to do it without overpowering the helm after the boom comes across, and getting involuntarily rounded up into a broach that's hard to recover from in a stinking breeze.

So for those in the latter category, and especially those with thin enough experience to be writing to the "Learn to Sail" topic, take Charlie's good advice as to how to do it, but then sail 30 years before trying it in 30+ knots. For the rest of us, above 20-25 knots, consider the "chicken jibe", or a storm trysail, or just a jib, that can be "worn" across without jibing a long heavy boom.

And letting the mainsheet out real quick on the lighter boats is imperative to get the main out to perpendicular with the wind, *fast*. This reduces the twisting force you get (in a lightweight boat) if you keep it sheeted in too long, and makes it easier to hold her to a broad reach or broader right after the jibe, since the rudder is resisting less force trying to round the boat up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook