SailNet Community - View Single Post - Short Handed Gybes
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
I agree with SD's earlier comment on controlling the main as you turn through the wind. I was taught, and still practice it, to turn through the wind and pull the main to center just as the jib collapses. Waiting for that moment you can easily control the main by hand and be ready to let it out quickly on the opposite tack. I release the jib as I go through and have it somewhat pre set for the opposite tack. When I have the main under control I trim the jib and then the main. Never gybed above 30 knots, but never had a problem up to that wind speed. I have a wheel and auto pilot...and SD's post about auto pilots brings me to my question to add to this post.

My auto pilot will auto tack, but not auto gybe. I have tried to find a way to override the brain, but unlike my own, which I over ride to my detriment often, I can't seem to find a way.

I have a Raymarine ST4000 Autopilot on a Catalina 34 Tall Rig with Raymarine ST60 instruments all talking to each other. The autopilot recognizes the wind speed and direction and will not let you tack if it reads a gybe. My question: Has anyone found a way around this issue? I can't call it a problem as I understand the reason, but I would like to be able to over ride it as I often sail alone and auto is your friend...especially above 20 kts of wind speed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook