SailNet Community - View Single Post - nmea 0183 to RS232
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Howard—

Remember that NMEA 0183 was originally specified as RS422, which is a balanced signal protocol, so the voltage levels are going to be relatively low. What version of NMEA 0183 does the Furuno use and have you updated the firmware in it? Most GPS units have upgradeable firmware and often, that can solve an incompatibility problem between it and newer hardware. Given that the Furuno worked with the H1000, I would say that the issue is likely an NMEA 0183 version incompatibility problem rather than a hardware one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeip View Post
This whole discussion appears to be relevant to a problem I am having. No intent to hijack....
I've got a functional Furuno GP 31 (GPS) trying to communicate with a new B&G h3000 instrument system via 0183. The B&G just ignores the Furuno, which has operated successfully with the B&G's predessor, an h1000. I have very limited diagnostic resources...no computer at hand at the moment.
The data stream from the Furuno seems to exist, that is, there is a series of positive-going (from 0) pulses, 2V at 1-1.5 seconds which, according to the B&G techs, is good news in that the pulses exist at all, bad news that the pulses are only 2V. I took the measurements at the input plug of the h3000. Furuno NMEA + out goes to the B&G + in; FURUNO out - to the B&G - in , not to gnd .

The Furuno folks are taking the position that even if the problem is not theirs, they are probably in the best position to do something about it. What a pleasant surprise THAT is.

Any comments?

Howard Keiper
Berkeley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook