SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone else own a Seafarer?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010
Banned

nogin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennangel View Post
I recently bought a 22" 1968 Seafarer. I'm doing a complete resto on her.
I cut off the toerail wood and I'm replacing with look a like teak uv resistant plastic. I also cut off the thin strip that goes across cabin trunk on both sides because they're maintenance nightmares. The key here is a boat that is old styled but maintenance free.
I also reglassed all bulkheads to increase strength, holding power and to minimize twisting of hull under sail, and jacked up the cabin trunk 0ne inch that had sagged and installed uprights to handle mast load. It was a poor design having only shelf bracket designed half walls to hold up cabin trunk. I'm replacing the coamings with Starboard so as to cut down maintenance. First, though, I sanded all the non skid down and west systemed epoxied the entire deck to fill tiny voids and cracks that allowed seepage of water through gel coat. I also filled in the deck to hull joint where opened to stop all leaking. I will prime boat with petit prime coat and then paint with petit brightsides. To finish non skid, I'll add non skid additive and roll all non- kid. And by the way, I'm spraying the entire boat except for nonskid. All hardware has been upgraded, lifelines renewed, and interior has been sprayed with petit durawhite. When I'm done, boat should be like new, be low maintenance, and probably the most beautiful boat in the great south bay of long island where i live.... And yes, I'm a glutten for punsihment...ha..ha.

Thanks, Glenn
I am looking to purchase a very similar boat; 1968 Seafarer 23. From everything I have read, the Seafarer 23 is a solid built blue water boat. This would be my first sailboat and am looking for a trailerable sea worthy boat built like a tank and with enough space for the first mate and I, 2 young boy's and at times up to 4 more adults and 2 kids. I figure the kids could stay towards the bow on the deck while adults in the rear outside cabin area. Any owners of this era 23 opinions and suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Last edited by nogin; 04-16-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook