SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

SOLO or DUO TRANSATLANTIC RACES

36K views 290 replies 6 participants last post by  PCP 
#1 ·
It seems that in this Forum there are not many people interested in racing, so instead of posting a thread about a particular Transat I think that it would be more interesting to have a thread where we could post about different transats. Everybody is welcome and everybody can start to post about any solo or duo Transat. This way we can have an easy access to a lot of information about the same topic.

I want to share with you a great race, the Figaro Duo AG2R Transat (a duo race). It starts tomorrow.

To explain the spirit of this race let me have a car racing analogy:

Imagine that you could convince some of the best F1 drivers, some top contenders in other top racing classes to have a race with equal cars (small but competitive formula cars) just to see who really is the best:D. Just to have more fun and to put more pressure, you will join the best drivers that usually race on those formulas...just to see if those F1 guys are so good as they are supposed to be:D

Well, this is what happens on the FigaroAG2R were the best among the solo sailors (Vendée Globe, Open 40, 40class, Minis and Multihull sailors) will meet with the best from the FigaroClass, to see who is the fastest. The boats are the same: Beneteau Figaro Class, a 33ft boat.

http://www.beneteau.com/fr/voile/produit.aspx?GAM_CODE=5&PRO_CODE=27http://yachtpals.com/figaro-sailing-4134

They are only 25(x2) but there is a reason for that. This is a race for professionals. They only let you in if you have already made some of the more important of the solo ocean races.

This year you will have:

"Among the sailors were past winners such as Jean le Cam (1994), Armel Cléac'h and Nicolas Troussel (2004), Kito de Pavant (2006), Laurent Pellecuer and Jean-Paul Mouren the reigning victors who are returning to defend their title.

...The most seasoned participants are Eric Drouglazet and Laurent Pellecuer on Luisina, who between them have competed in this double handed transatlantic race 13 times. They are followed by Morvan and de Broc on 11.

The line-up also includes seven round the world sailors including Jean le Cam (on Generali with Nicolas Lunven), Sam Davies (on Saveol with boyfriend Romain Attanasio), Armel Cleac'h (on Brit Air with Fabien Delahaye), Sebastien Audigane (on Groupe Bel with Kito de Pavant), Yann Eliès (on Generali-Europ Assistance with Jérémie Beyou), Bertrand de Broc and also Bernard Stamm.

In addition to HP Schipman, several other competitors have graduated up to the Figaro from the Mini class. They include Bertrand Delesne, Bertrand Castelnérac, Sebastien Picault and Laurent Bourgues."

http://www.thedailysail.com/offshore/10/54870/transat-ag2r-preview

You can follow the race here (direct coverage):

Site Officiel de la Transat AG2R LA MONDIALE 2010

If you like video games and like to play the race, just to pretend you are racing with them:

VirtualRegatta - Régates virtuelles : Solitaire du Figaro, Vendée Globe, Volvo Ocean Race, Transat AG2R, etc.

You find it odd? Well, there are already more than 27000 players waiting for the start to play on line. It will be a tough race, after all the "real racers" are only 25:D .

Some interesting sites about the race and the Figaro Class:

BYM Sailing & Sports News

La Classe Figaro Bénéteau

Figaro Class - Springboard to Sailing in the Big Leagues | YachtPals.com

Regards

Paulo

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It was begun.

They are just turning away from the shore.

Yann Elies (2006 France offshore racing champion and winner of the Jules Vernes trophy) seems to have a slight advantage. There are two ladies on the pursuing group: Sam and Jeanne Gregoire.

Go here and click on "Cartograhhie" and you can "see" the race in real time.

Site Officiel de la Transat AG2R LA MONDIALE 2010

Go to "Videos" and you can see the interesting motor trimaran that is going to follow all the race, broadcasting great movies, that are going to be on line every day. That's a coverage:)

Regards

Paulo

#3 ·
Now if I could remember the Francais from high school, I'd be set trying to navigate that site! I did not see an english translation clicky, is there one I can not see?

Are these all the version 2 Figs, and not the original design? Or is the version 2 able to compete boat for boat? I would think the most recent version would/should be quicker.

Marty

#4 · (Edited)
No, no English.

But click on "cartographie" and on the "videos" and that should be enough.

If you are on "Cartographie" and click on a boat, they will show the skippers.

" vent" - shows you the direction and force of wind.

On the videos I hope they will post some great movies, like this one:

YouTube - Thierry Chabagny et SUZUKI AUTOMOBILES

These are all "Pros" racing with the Figaro2 version, that is a lot faster than the older one.

If you need some help with the French, just ask:)

#5 ·
I remember "j'nais sais pas" J'ne no comprendais" or some such things......"ou eh sylvie?" spelling is probably incorrect, but can say it to some degree....

I'll keep an eye on this and see what I can come up with. In the mean time, about 1.5 hrs from trying out the fixed slugs on the main that blew out last saturday.

Marty

#7 ·
Looking at the real time of the boats, amazing to me that ALL but one are with in what looks to be a 2mile circle of ea other. At current speeds of 8 knots, thats less than 20 min over the whole ocean. Altho when you look at the fact that these people are highly trained, same setup boats, I guess I should not be too surprised there is less than 3 miles to the end between all of the boats, probably with in hailing distance. Altho this could also be part of the video requirement, so the tri covering the race can get from one to the other easy enough...........

Marty

#8 ·
Marty,
No, those are real GPS positions. The map is a real map and you can have coordinates on it. You can make it bigger or smaller. If you make it smaller and click on the meteo you can have a real picture of the weather and understand their strategies.

Outside rooting is also not allowed. They all have the same meteo information and have to decide by themselves the best route. With the map minimized if you click on orthodormie and you will have the shortest line, from the beginning to the end . Nobody goes on that line;)

If you go to the inscriptions and look at the curriculum of each of those guys, you will be amazed. That's what you say: Very good sailors with the same boats and sails, that makes for a very close race.

In some days we will see (with some luck) movies of several boats battling very close to each other.

Gaspe 7, the one that is on the right place:D is making 12.4K with 16k of wind. Not bad for a relativelly inexpensive 33fter:)

Paulo

#11 · (Edited)
You can see already different strategies;

Transat AG2R La Mondiale 2010

Jeanne, on the West, is going for the wind. She is making at least more half a knot than everybody, except Miguel Danet that has chosen the same option and is close behind. It looks to me a good choice. They have more wind in front, compared to the main pack.

Richard Ledee (on the East) has chosen the opposite: The rhumb line, the shortest distance, but he is going to run out of wind. Not looking good for him.

#12 ·
Paulo,

After a couple of days, yes you can start to see the differences in strategies, along with whom is probably the better sailor, or whom caught the wind break etc. as of 7:19PDT there is about 90 miles from the front runners to the rear person.

Marty

#13 ·
Good move from Jeanne. Not only she managed to close on the leader as she had sucessefully moved to the central pack. Very weak wind ahead and the ones that jeanne just joined seem to be the ones on the best position to cross the weak wind patch.

Great job by Gildas Morvan, Kito De Pavan, Armel, Yannick le Clech and Armel. They (with Jeanne) are in the right position to control the race ...for now:D

#14 ·
Marty,

I confess that I had not understood the last Jeanne move. Why was she pulling away from the leaders, going east? They had more wind and were and are faster. Well it seems that for the next hours she can pick more wind going that way. If she can pull it off it would be an amazing feat. She is trying for the lead. First going to West, now going to East....I believe she is the one that has made more miles:D

Sam Davies seems also well positioned for a recovery.

Going to Bed.

Regards

Paulo

#16 · (Edited)
I envy you:( . This year I am without a boat. Have to wait till the summer.

Jeanne strategy turned out just ok. She maintains about the same position and the winner of the night was the leader, Armel Tripon that has made a bold change of direction, going East. It paid out, he got wind again. He is the fastest at this moment.

But just ahead there are very interesting different route options. I believe that we will see some going more near the Portuguese coast. I have never saw Cabo São Vicente without wind, and I believe that I am not the only one that knows that. If they do that they can have more wind and, after passing the Portuguese coast, have the wind on a better angle.

Sam Davies that was one of last night winners is on a good position to try that move...in about 4 to 6 hours.

Regards

Paulo

PS- Marty, have you tried to go back and forward with the cursor on the bottom of the map?

#17 ·
Paulo,

I do not know the winds around that area much, nor do I have a wind/weather map to look at. BUT, it interesting now that they have all turned slightly south, to see how far apart the boats really are, who is going for what windshift/trade wind or equal.

Had a good sail last night, only hit 6 knots a few times, otherwise 2-5 knots. but got to try a few things with my AS up that in higher winds it would have been harder to try for the first time, like poling out the tack to see how far downwind one can go etc. had a new crew on board too, so lighter can be better. 8am here, so off to work.

Marty

#18 ·
Paulo,

I do not know the winds around that area much, nor do I have a wind/weather map to look at. BUT, it interesting now that they have all turned slightly south, to see how far apart the boats really are, who is going for what windshift/trade wind or equal.

Marty
IT seems that you are missing half the fun...I mean about following the race. Yes you have a wind map. On the race map, put the map smaller (on the top) then click on the arrows (top) and you will have the wind, in real time.

On the botom of the map, (right) where it says "previsions" you can go forward till a 36 hours prevision. Then you have just to calculate the boat position at that time and you will be able to make a guess about what is the right option for each boat...an then see what they really do. It is fun and you will learn a lot...and see how good this guys are.:D

Try also what I was saying on the bottom of the last post...and you will see that they have been changing courses all the time, trying to get the better of the weak and variable wind.

Paulo

#20 ·
Paulo,

Just above the top of the map, I hit the far right box of 5 together, that appeared to put a wind amount and direction out of my mouse arrow. One can see a bit more, will see what else I can click and figure out more. Need to remember the french from High school!

Marty

#21 ·
Marty,

About the weather information:

If you click on the arrows you will get the wind. If you go top right and click and drag on the arrow of the cursor that has a percentage, you will minimize the map. Then the wind will be clearly visible (mouse arrow over the map).

Go to the bottom, left side and you will see another cursor (Prevision à 0H). Click and drag and you will have a prediction for 6, 12, 24 or 36H.

About the race: My previsions were right. Jeanne is on the lead:D
Sam has recovered.

Several skippers are going for the wind on the Portuguese coast.

Regards

Paulo

#22 ·
Heck, Who needs to know francais? just start clicking buttons, next thing you know, you have a full screen, wind arrows, in color or is that colour?!?!?! boats and their headings. Is that cool or what! Now I see where the leaders are seeming to be heading etc, and can see what the plan is and hope. That one boat doing the rumb line, not sure, it may pay off. But he has lost what looks to be about 100 or so miles in the last 24-36 hrs or so.

marty

#23 · (Edited)
Marty,
Now that you seem to have mastered the "screen":D you are going to enjoy a lot more. They are on a very slippery spot. Jeanne and the three boats that are with her don't have any wind ahead so, they have to change course...I would say to West, to the rumb line. Sam seems to be on a good spot. I believe she can maintain course.

The three guys that have chosen to approach the Portuguese coast are going to have more wind (let's see if it pays off) and for me the most interesting strategy is the one followed by Jean Paul Mouren, on G. SNEF.

The guy has balls: He is hard against a lot of wind, making good speed and going West, away from the rumb line. When he tacks to Madeira I think he is going to be the guy with more wind and is going to be the fastest, by a large margin. Probably he has a good chance to close on the leaders and I like his bold move.;)

Paulo

#24 ·
Paulo,

Not sure what is up with the main pack, they are heading SE as I type this. THe one fellow is IMHO doing a very bold and what could be a smart move heading INTO the strong band of wind, vs the others seeming to be moving away. Even a slight SW move would put some of them into the stronger wind bands. But then, I have not sailed an ocean, nor raced on one, so what do I know. If they have the same wind forcast etc we are seeing, I like this bold move frankly! I do not remember how far behind Jeanne he was, I am remembering about 145 miles, now he is 45 miles, so a gain of 100 miles in 9-10 hrs! His speed is not 10knots an hr quicker, but he is heading towards the finish at this time faster!

Marty

#25 · (Edited)
Paulo,

Not sure what is up with the main pack, they are heading SE as I type this. THe one fellow is IMHO doing a very bold and what could be a smart move heading INTO the strong band of wind, vs the others seeming to be moving away. Even a slight SW move would put some of them into the stronger wind bands. But then, I have not sailed an ocean, nor raced on one, so what do I know. If they have the same wind forcast etc we are seeing, I like this bold move frankly!

Marty
Marty,

After all it seems it was a bad move: There is not much wind ahead for him now.

But I was right about Jeanne (she should have gone West) she is a sitting duck now, doing less than a knot. Also right about Sam, she was in a better position. She seems to have gone through the patch without wind and has good wind ahead.

The guys along the Portuguese coast are doing well. Cabo São Vicente had wind as usual and they are the fastest know, and the ones that have more wind ahead.

Marty, they have about the same weather information as you have. Routing (exterior weather information) is not allowed, so this is a good away to learn about wind, routing and sailing. The difference is that they are a lot more experienced.:D

This is a very interesting tactical race.

Regards

Paulo

#27 ·
Now that I am also realizing they need to run at Madere......thought they went straight across.........Sam is in good position with the stronger wind along the coast, the folks to the west are looking a bit screwed.

Out to sail, race canceled due to too strong winds. anything at about 20 or over is canceled for our local beer cans. Blowing tween 20 and 30, but crew wants to head out and sail/practice. Have stillys daughter whom is also doing a school enior project about sailing. so that gives her some time in some heavier winds with out the need to do things perfect as in an actual race, all can learn and try rigging things to see how they do or do not work too!

Marty

#29 · (Edited)
Yes, and the guys that had chose the long detour to the Portuguese coast are coming down fast. More than 1k more than Sam and 4k more than Jeanne (that is still leading) and his entourage. Nice move.

Puget Sound seems to be a very nice cruising ground and today it seems to be a nice day to sail and a better day for racing. Shame on the local can racers. Here you would call them sweet water sailors:D

Regards

Paulo

#28 ·
#30 ·
Paulo,

Jeanne picked up a bit over the last bit, sam not sure what to say, but still looks like she is in a nice spot.

My "club" cancels club races at 20 or so. The race that started 10 miles south, one of the island series races is a go. One is 110 miles or so, short course is about 45 and a cruise class at 20 or so miles. There running and having a good time. The long course you have 30 or so hrs to finish, the others about 8-10 hrs. I was toying with doing this series, but could not pull a full crew together. My sons whom normally would have come, are leaving to go to Europe in a few weeks, they compete throwing boomarangs of all things on a world level every two yrs repping the US. One has finished usually about 15-20 out of 150 or so participants the last 3 world cups. Current US champ.

Had a good sail, hit 7 knots on a reach with a reef and 110, downwind hit 9 something with a upper 20 gust and a 1.5-2M wave pushing us.Not bad for 6.7knot hull speed boat! Broke the rivvets to the vang where it connects to the boom, at least it was not the boom! did that last year.

Off to get spouses mother a mothers day present.

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.