SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Okoume Plywood veneer

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jarcher 
#1 ·
I am constructing new doors for the companionway using the existing ones as a template. I have learned that the existing doors are plywood with a okoume veneer and I am going to construct something similar. Can I do this using any plywood - such a birch - or should I start with a mahogany plywood?

#2 ·
You can of course make the doors out of just about anything. If this project is expected to last however "big box store" wood, either mahogany or birch will not last too long. In fact it could fail in only a season or two. Real marine plywood has thicker surface veneers, higher quality interior veneers and interior veneers with no voids.
If you let us know where you are from I suspect some regular members will be able to help you with sourcing.

Also the design is an issue so you will get a better answer with pictures.

#3 ·
Like Dave suggests, standard plywood is likely to end up giving you headaches. The marine ply can also come in varying degrees of quality. It may not have voids, but may have football patches, for example, depending upon the manufacturer or type of wood. Whatever you do, be sure to epoxy-coat the exposed edges. This will keep them from absorbing water (there WILL be water- it's a boat!) and delaminating. Even marine ply with its more water-resistant glues will delaminate if it repeatedly gets wet. Trying to save weight by going too thin is also not a good idea. If a crew gets thrown against it and it never shuts properly again, you'll have to do it all over again - heavier - anyway.

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I am from north of Toronto, and I sail on Lake Huron. I am planning to use the okoume veneer and will attach it to 1/2" plywood. I am thinking that 2mm veneer should be sufficient. What type of plywood would you suggest that I start with?

#5 ·
Peter,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but reading your note above, it sounds as though you plan to put a veneer layer over a piece of standard plywood?:confused: That is really going about things the hard way.

My suggestion would be to purchase a sheet of marine plywood of appropriate thickness for the job. This marine ply would already have the veneer on the outer layers. No need to purchase a separate veneer layer. If your boat has a teak interior, you can even get teak-veneers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.