SailNet Community - View Single Post - Indentifying Mystery Hardware (Mystery to me anyway) :)
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Indentifying Mystery Hardware (Mystery to me anyway) :)

So I have some questions for all you experts out there (those that are not sailing in the AMAZING weather). I am trying to identify a few parts on my boat that seem to be eluding me right now.

Any Simpson's fans out there? To quote Dr. Nick Riviera as Homer is about to go under for his heart bypass surgery...

"What the hell is that?"

A & B - are the same things just offset symmetrically on the front of the mast. There is a ring on the inside that spins and I have no idea what they are for.

C - is some sort of traveler that runs on a track on the front of the mast. It goes about 1/2 way up the mast. For the life of me I cannot figure out what runs up the front of the mast unless its just an elaborate way to run up the courtesy flag.

D - I think is a sampson post? I tie off the anchor rode to this when anchoring?

E - Scares the crap out of me... The top is spring loaded to hold it shut but there is an opening in the side of it even when it is closed. When you open it there is a LARGE hole that leads down to a space in front of the v berth.

F - Also leads to the same space in front of the v berth.

So here is the space in front of the v berth, obviously the anchor locker... F I think I understand as I run the anchor rode into as I haul it in but I still don't get what E is?

Looking from the back of the berth forward.

Sticking camera into the anchor locker looking up.

Back to the unknown.

G - due to its proximity to the head & holding tank I think this is the holding tank vent?

H & I - Setup for reef points I assume...

Thanks for any info;

Robert

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook