SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raymarine ST4000+ question ...
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Good unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN2Travelers View Post
I have no previous experience with autopilots.
I’m looking at a boat that has a 1999 era Raymarine ST-4000+ autopilot (wheel pilot) installed. The owner removed part of the wheel drive and has it stored in the lazarette.

The broker said the owner felt the wheel was binding/dragging and took it out. It looks like all the wheels `n such are intact and the wheel drive unit could be put back together.

The control head display was blank when I powered up with the rest of the instruments. The broker thinks the owner may have disconnected power to the control head at the same time he disassembled the wheel drive.

Assume the wheel drive unit is put back together and connected again, what is “normal” when the instrument cluster is powered up? The manual says “When switched on, the ST4000 will be in `standby’ mode.” I can’t find a switch and the manual doesn’t really say anything about what should be displayed on the control head when it is powered up.
It sounds like you are contradicting yourself in the last paragraph. I have that model on my boat and am quite satisfied with it. I think I bought it in 2006 so it is not that old but it is dis-continued today. It does sometimes drag a bit and you have to flush it with water to keep it from binding from time to time but it is still a good unit. Whenever I power it on it comes up on "Standby" every time. The main control box needs to have power going to it and it then in turn powers the other components. You'll have to hunt through all the cables and make sure everything is connected and then try again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook