SailNet Community - View Single Post - Floating Doctors, are they back from their voyage yet?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Relax Cardiacpaul....

I don't want you passing out because of either Dr. Ben or the chicks.

He actually IS a MD. Qualified in the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland. Sort of an expensive school for rich kids, mostly from the Middle and Far East. May not be board certified in the States, but probably didn't kill anyone in the Irish Health care system

I met him briefly today and he came across as OK. I suspect a combination of ego and naïveté. He was good enough to chat for a while and I told him that I had followed his blog. I pointed out that he had a long way to go as he planned to cross the Pacific. He then hinted that "maybe we will stay between here and Central America, as there are lots of poor people to help". I suspect that the reality of the undertaking has/is sinking in.

There was a total lack of movement onboard that I would not associate with a relief mission. The only other guy around was Nicolas the "Clinical Director" he was on his cell phone but was polite enough to address me as "Sir" which I hope reflects on his militarily background and not my advanced years. Tragically no sign of the ladies.

I was more concerned about the stowage of all the stuff on the bow. I never found that sticking a life-raft on the pointy end was a good idea. Dr. Ben did say that he was sorry he hadn't gotten round to painting the uppedecks. This concern might have caused by the fact that they were berthed behind a luxury hotel near two super yachts. I bit my tongue and did not suggest that the time might be better used stowing all the crap as low in the vessel as possible even if they had to sleep on deck.

I suspect that we will see the vessel languishing back in the States at some time in the future and Dr. Ben will be on the motivational speaking circuit.

But as I say, I've been wrong before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook