SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Sailing Gods looked down on us today...
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006

LaLeLu is on a distinguished road
Haffiman, I will definately post additional info as I learn it. It is interesting that you conclude the prop did not fail, but then go on to insinuate that we did not properly maintain it. Further, I really don't think you read my previous posts very well. 1). the prop is only 1 year old. 2). the boat was hauled and very, very thoroughly surveyed (and sea trialed) 2 months ago. I have photos of the strut, shaft, cutless, prop, etc. with the survey. There were no vibrations noted in the sea trial. The boat has about 20 hours on it since the survey. 3). There was no impact associated with failure. Why would a solid bronze strut (which is not under any type of load and w/no vibration in the shaft) that was inspected 2 months earlier, just break? Caliber told us that they have never (Never!) had any such reported strut failure. They have made a lot of boats for a lot of years and have an outstanding reputatoin for customer service. On the other hand, I have heard of Autoprop blades coming off - they even had a recall on 1998 - 2002 props for this reason 4). The prop blade cannot physically reach the underbody of the boat - even with the strut broken. There is 2" clearance. 5). I think you are mistaken about any severe bend in the shaft. In fact, the shaft looks surprisingly good. Perhaps the photo angles are fooling you. I am intrigued by the interest you have taken - You don't by any chance have any affiliation with Autoprop?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook