SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where to run the halyards
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010

wunhunglo is on a distinguished road
Halyard Stoppers

I agree with Faster. Halyard stoppers particularly on the spin halyard, make life a lot easier for foredeck and pit.
Here's some Schaeffer stoppers that would be OK for a Scampi. BTW: You have a great boat in the Scampi IOR half Ton. One of Peter Norlin's best. Excellent in heavy air. Does yours now have a taller rig than the original design?

I would put the stopper at a height as high as you can so that the mast crew almost has to jump or stretch to reach it. Any lower and it makes it awkward to put body weight into to "jumping" the halyard.

Re: halyard exits: given the reasonably easily handled size of the rig on a Scampi, except for the spinnaker halyard exits, I wouldn't cut any more exits in the mast. The genoa and main halyard should be easily handled by the pit crew on a hoist, and there's often not as urgent a need to hoist as fast as possible as much as there is on a chute. i.e. if doing a headsail change, it's not critical to take 10 seconds longer hoisting compared with a chute where 10 seconds might have it filling before it's up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook