SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Insurance Woes

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  carl762 
#1 ·
Hello

I am a US citizen residing in Palau. I am in the process of purchasing my first boat, a '77 Kelly Peterson 44, and having difficulty finding insurance for it. "At this time I do not have a market for you due to the navigational territory and ownership experience."

I need to hire a delivery crew to help me get my boat from New Zealand to Palau. A reputable delivery captain requires insurance on the boat.

What do you salts do for insurance while cruising? How does a first time boat owner go about obtaining insurance?

Thanks

#3 ·
Have you tried Lloyds of London, since you're out of the USA, most of the better companies for you to deal with will be based in Europe. Chubb might also be a good choice.

#4 ·
I have a quote request in right now with IMIS and haven't heard back yet. I have been trying to find Lloyds but a google search brought up several small companies underwritten by Lloyds. Can you tell me how to get a policy directly through lloyds?

Thanks for the feedback

#6 ·
Markel's "Jackline" - a lot of cruisers use this, its good worldwide and with shorthanded crew like a couple. I don't know how your stated inexperience would play into this, if they'd charge you a higher rate to account for it. Wasn't an issue with us, so we can't tell you what to anticipate, or even if they'd accept you at all. We got our policy through IMIS.

#7 ·
BoatUS used the "inexperienced" angle on me just yesterday relative to the pollution liability coverage I need for the marina I'm going to drop the boat in at. Frustrating. Then, they sent me to another in-house underwriter who would only insure me for $300,000, when $500,000 is required. I hung up on the guy. Guess he didn't think of charging more $$$$. I hate insurance companies. Waiting to hear from another underwriter.

IMIS next.

Good Luck.

#9 ·
Yep me to

I am also a new boat owner and had difficulty getting insurance, I used the same insure as the previous boat owner and was able to get it but it's expensive. My broke said in three years they can can submitt the policy to a wider audience to see of the rate can come down.

I can give you my broker name if you are still having difficulty getting insurace.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the input. Been busy the past week. Travelled to New Zealand and Purchased my "new" sweetheart. She is a Kelly Peterson 44. Will be sailing up to Palau next month and have to get this insurance figured out.

@Blue Lagoon. Yes please the name of your broker would be great.

@Carl762 What was the other company? You keeping it a secret? ;)

IMIS never even bothered to contact me after I submitted my application. Losers. If their customer service is that Bad when I am trying to give them money, I would hate to see what happens when you try to get it out of them.

Anyone else know of a good company or broker for global coverage.

#13 ·
Actually IMIS has a sterling reputation. I'd guess you are either in an area they are not licensed to do business with, or there was a simple problem in the contact process or information.

Big boat, big waters, no formal training or prior experience? Very few companies will be willing to underwrite you. If there is a "US power squadrons" group in Palau, try taking a safe boating course with them and joining--I think that's good for an automatic discount from most insurers, and they might well have a referral for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.