SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheoy Lee Offshore 40
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Congratulations- I always like hearing of these boats being sold to a good home. If you owned a 70 year old wooden boat, you probably know what you are up against.

Quick is almost always in the mind of the beholder. 7.2 with burts to 7.9 is a very respectible speed for these boats. I think you will certainly have better performance than your Atkins Ingrid but you may miss the Ingrid's comparatively comfortable motion.

To put my comments regarding speed in perspective, my comments were based on boat for boat performance back in their day when compared to similar sized boats of that era. But also, to further put the relative speed into perspective, Sunday on the Chesapeake, in the same conditions, the GPS showed my 38 footer typically moving at around 8.5 knots with bursts up into the mid- 9's (with a reefed main and blade jib). Of course, a more modern boat than mine would have shown even higher readings than we saw. (Also depending on when and where you were on the Bay there seemed to be a lot of current flowing with the winds from the heavy rains up north. And also, at least where I was, the apparent wind was roughly 12 knots but the true wind was gusting into the low 20 knot range at times. )

Still, there are few boats that are prettier than the Reliant. Enjoy your new boat....

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-20-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook